July 16, 2005

Spokane, Washington & EWU

Friday, July 15th: Spent a long morning at the campsite. Had free coffee and overpriced muffins. Didn't sleep tremendously well due to a chronically cold nose and aching hips, symptoms of too much sleeping on the ground I suppose. Wrote some postcards, took down the tent and checked out around noon. Had to navigate Friday-in-Missoula traffic to go to the mall for a new cell phone battery. What a contrast to our past week of campiness.

Driving was pretty intense this leg. Continual twisting and turning roads, constantly breaking and coasting. It seems the whole trip was a downhill progression of losing elevation. I miss Montana already, as Idaho was fairly forgettable. Arrived in Spokane to meet Gordon and Jillian--very nice indeed. Did some laundry. Shopped for beer at Huckleberry's, an incredible smelling natural foods store. Unknowingly bought Washington beer (Red Hook Blonde...mmm). Had Papa Murphy's pizza, where you get it raw and bake it at home. They were off to a B&N Harry Potter release party, so Jenna and I headed to the cinema to see Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. YEA! I give it two thumbs up and a couple gold stars. This is turning out to be a nice, mellow pit stop. Just what we needed.

Saturday, July 16th: Had to wake up at 6:45 this morning. By a stroke of fate, I checked my email yesterday to find that Nine Inch Nails tickets for a show in October in Detroit were on sale at 10:00 EDT (3 hour time difference, hence the waking up early early). Got on the floor. Checked later and the show had already sold into the third tier. Glad I woke up. Bummed around. Had coffee and bagel. Drove to check out Eastern Washington University. I think it might be off my list. First, a lot of people live in Spokane (rather than Cheney) and commute; second, campus is bereft of a standout landscape--simple bricks and mortar type; and it just seems scarily close to BG. I still have six schools to check out. I'm only nervous that I'm already shortening the list. A smaller list of schools I adore will inevitably lead to unreasonable expectations. To digress, we're accompanying Gordon and Jillian to a work party tonight. Will leave early tomorrow in order to properly enjoy the drive to Bellingham. I can't believe we've only been gone for one week and are 2,000+ miles away from home...AND, we're only one-third through the trip. Onward!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home