University of Montana & Missoula
Thursday, July 14th: Woke up just in time for coffee--a sixth sense of mine. Pissed around with the atlas and called Pinkelman. Have decided to make the Portland to Berkeley drive a two-day affair; spend a night in Eureka so we can take our time with the Redwoods. Anyhow, drove to downtown Missoula, found the University of Montana and miraculously happened to park directly in front of the building we were seeking. Went on the hokey 11:00 tour with some high school football players. Tour guide was fond of the word awesome. I think I'm in love with Montana!
On campus, we saw a giant bronze grizzly bear statue; a mountain with the letter "M" on it and a switchback trail to the top; a fairly indescript liberal arts building; an incredible rec center with a 100 foot climbing wall and a huge catalogue of rentable items, including but not limited to backpacks, sleeping bags, tents, and an 8-man raft. Food on campus rocks--lots of fresh fruits and veggies. Great public transportation, buses and bike paths everywhere. Impressive library and cheap but adequate health center. Only one shortcoming...there is not one Apple computer on campus. I feel like I've landed on some strange planet.
Drove downtown and walked around. Checked out junk shops and second-hand stores. Found a ClaZel-ish theater, featuring both a night of Chippendales and the brutal documentary Born Into Brothels. Wandered into a patisserie and ate some gorgeous chocolate. A few hours in 100 degree weather and we were about done--not done, through...turkeys are done, people are through--with Missoula. Saw a sign for an old carousel and found ourselves in a park. Continued exploring and found "Downtown Tonight." Sponsored by the Missoula Downtown Association, every Thursday in the summer, people get out of work and come down to this little tented, concrete amphitheater. Live music, local food and a beer garden. Had a gyro and beer (Montana Blonde--really starting to like "blonde" brews) for cheap.
After ice cream, back to the campsite for a night swim. Perfect after a long, hot day and a cloudless, windless blue sky. Drank Daniel's wine; opened with my Swiss Army knife from Girl Scouts and poured into the gullet straight from the bottle. Leaving for Spokane in the a.m. I think I would really dig living and writing in Montana: ethnic food, hippies with babies and new families, elevation...options. This feels like somewhere I wouldn't mind staying after I'm finished with the next round of school. Anyway, first I have to apply; then, they have to let me in. Oh well, live and learn.
On campus, we saw a giant bronze grizzly bear statue; a mountain with the letter "M" on it and a switchback trail to the top; a fairly indescript liberal arts building; an incredible rec center with a 100 foot climbing wall and a huge catalogue of rentable items, including but not limited to backpacks, sleeping bags, tents, and an 8-man raft. Food on campus rocks--lots of fresh fruits and veggies. Great public transportation, buses and bike paths everywhere. Impressive library and cheap but adequate health center. Only one shortcoming...there is not one Apple computer on campus. I feel like I've landed on some strange planet.
Drove downtown and walked around. Checked out junk shops and second-hand stores. Found a ClaZel-ish theater, featuring both a night of Chippendales and the brutal documentary Born Into Brothels. Wandered into a patisserie and ate some gorgeous chocolate. A few hours in 100 degree weather and we were about done--not done, through...turkeys are done, people are through--with Missoula. Saw a sign for an old carousel and found ourselves in a park. Continued exploring and found "Downtown Tonight." Sponsored by the Missoula Downtown Association, every Thursday in the summer, people get out of work and come down to this little tented, concrete amphitheater. Live music, local food and a beer garden. Had a gyro and beer (Montana Blonde--really starting to like "blonde" brews) for cheap.
After ice cream, back to the campsite for a night swim. Perfect after a long, hot day and a cloudless, windless blue sky. Drank Daniel's wine; opened with my Swiss Army knife from Girl Scouts and poured into the gullet straight from the bottle. Leaving for Spokane in the a.m. I think I would really dig living and writing in Montana: ethnic food, hippies with babies and new families, elevation...options. This feels like somewhere I wouldn't mind staying after I'm finished with the next round of school. Anyway, first I have to apply; then, they have to let me in. Oh well, live and learn.

1 Comments:
You're getting a nice rhythm on this blog here. I shudder to think of what you'll surmise about the University of New Mexico when/if you get there. Sounds like the UM is on top right now.
Post a Comment
<< Home