Grand Tetons National Park
Monday, July 11th: After body wrenching sleep and waking early to the sounds of campground commotion, I wasn't feeling too spry. We met up with Lily, ate some fruit and Breakfast Crunch (I want to give a shout out to Sharp's Bulk Foods in up-state NY and the 15 pounds of Amish granola we are transporting) and decided to go for a hike. We drove to the trailhead of Two Oceans Lake, about 10 miles away. The name refers to the fact that the Lake straddles the Continental Divide. Part of the trail was closed to "preserve wildlife" (an eagle's nest and grizzly bears), meaning we would have to double back instead of circling the whole lake.
At first, the landscape was beautiful and overwhelming, trekking on a tiny foot path through tough brush, flowers, downed trees, and other assorted Sound of Music-esque features. As the elevation went up, my stamina went down. The first three miles were relatively easygoing; the last mile was entirely uphill. My feet hurt, my knees were aching, my thighs were burning, and I couldn't catch my breath. A dozen switchbacks later and the view point was totally worth it. At over 7,000 feet, we could see almost every peak the Tetons had to offer. We sat for a while, munching on apples and trail mix, chugged some water and snapped a few photos; though, I seriously doubt these words or my pictures could ever capture what I saw.
The hike down was better, but my legs turned to lead as I planted each foot, resisting a tumble down the trail. We were on a mission to get out of the heat and back to my car. We were all looking at our feet, weary and sun-soaked. I grabbed the pack of Lily's rucksack...I saw a young black bear. We backed away slowly and quietly until he saw us and galloped away. For the next few minutes, we clapped and sang and made as much noise as possible. After 9 miles, 4+ hours and a bear sighting, I've NEVER been so happy to see my car!
Went with Lily and Cody down to Jackson for dinner. Passed an Elk Refuge with no elk and a picture of a bird on the sign?! Ate at the Merry Piglet, a Mexican restaurant. Had shrimp tacos. The drive back--at just before sunset--was gorgeous. Sun leaking through the mountains, fingers of gold leading us home. With the addition of slightly over-priced, foam sleeping mats and a relocation of the tent to the gravel pit (perfect for weight distribution), we tucked ourselves in and had a good sleep.
Tuesday, July 12th: Slept hard and in various rotisserie positions. Lily loaned us an extra blanket and sleeping bag. Lily had to work and Cody drove to Bozeman to buy climbing shoes. I was close to murder due to lack of coffe, but Jenna and I discovered a General Store. Took a spit bath and headed back down to the picnic area by Jackson Lake for the day. Jenna kept herself busy building a rock tower on the rock beach, swimming and exploring. I planted myself on a picnic bench and read two of the three Montana books (SIDENOTE: I've brought with me poetry chap-books written by profs who teach at the schools I'm checking out.). Was surrounded by different family units.
Lily got off at 4 and we showered up and went to dinner at a lodge she'd never been to. Lily and Cody worked on replenishing our firewood and ice while Jenna and I cleaned and repacked the car. Had a smallish campfire at our site, just the four of us. Hotboxed the tent, burned our paper trash and went to bed early.
At first, the landscape was beautiful and overwhelming, trekking on a tiny foot path through tough brush, flowers, downed trees, and other assorted Sound of Music-esque features. As the elevation went up, my stamina went down. The first three miles were relatively easygoing; the last mile was entirely uphill. My feet hurt, my knees were aching, my thighs were burning, and I couldn't catch my breath. A dozen switchbacks later and the view point was totally worth it. At over 7,000 feet, we could see almost every peak the Tetons had to offer. We sat for a while, munching on apples and trail mix, chugged some water and snapped a few photos; though, I seriously doubt these words or my pictures could ever capture what I saw.
The hike down was better, but my legs turned to lead as I planted each foot, resisting a tumble down the trail. We were on a mission to get out of the heat and back to my car. We were all looking at our feet, weary and sun-soaked. I grabbed the pack of Lily's rucksack...I saw a young black bear. We backed away slowly and quietly until he saw us and galloped away. For the next few minutes, we clapped and sang and made as much noise as possible. After 9 miles, 4+ hours and a bear sighting, I've NEVER been so happy to see my car!
Went with Lily and Cody down to Jackson for dinner. Passed an Elk Refuge with no elk and a picture of a bird on the sign?! Ate at the Merry Piglet, a Mexican restaurant. Had shrimp tacos. The drive back--at just before sunset--was gorgeous. Sun leaking through the mountains, fingers of gold leading us home. With the addition of slightly over-priced, foam sleeping mats and a relocation of the tent to the gravel pit (perfect for weight distribution), we tucked ourselves in and had a good sleep.
Tuesday, July 12th: Slept hard and in various rotisserie positions. Lily loaned us an extra blanket and sleeping bag. Lily had to work and Cody drove to Bozeman to buy climbing shoes. I was close to murder due to lack of coffe, but Jenna and I discovered a General Store. Took a spit bath and headed back down to the picnic area by Jackson Lake for the day. Jenna kept herself busy building a rock tower on the rock beach, swimming and exploring. I planted myself on a picnic bench and read two of the three Montana books (SIDENOTE: I've brought with me poetry chap-books written by profs who teach at the schools I'm checking out.). Was surrounded by different family units.
Lily got off at 4 and we showered up and went to dinner at a lodge she'd never been to. Lily and Cody worked on replenishing our firewood and ice while Jenna and I cleaned and repacked the car. Had a smallish campfire at our site, just the four of us. Hotboxed the tent, burned our paper trash and went to bed early.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home