May 14, 2005

Money: It's a Sin

The day I turned 14, I joined the working world. I got my first work permit and my first job, hostessing at King’s Family Restaurant. I worked Saturday and Sunday 6-2, made minimum wage and learned to loath the church crowd—huge families in fancy clothes ordering the whole left side of the menu. My parents never made me want or need for anything in my life, but they managed to impart the value of a dollar. While my wealthy schoolmates were charging away on their daddy’s American Express, I was happy with my measly, yet entirely disposable income. It was my money; I earned it. My parents agreed that since I was responsible enough to hold a job, they would pay for half of any major purchase. In 1994, I ordered 10-eyelet, black Doc Martens, straight from the London shop. Those boots have been through every concert and snowstorm of my life. Each time I lace them up, I think of my first job.

Fast forward…I’m 24, barely eeking by on a tiny, little stipend, living paycheck-to-paycheck and loving it. I have no debt to speak of, an average-sized student loan and a perfect 10 credit rating. In 2003, I was preparing for my trip to Italy. I decided it was time for a credit card. I did my research, found a frequent flyer program and got my first VISA. That credit card allowed me to make my way through Italy without going stone-broke. When I got home, I had an $800 balance. Somehow, through slaving away at Finders and squirreling away loan money each semester, I managed to pay off my Italy debt six times over in the first year of my foray into life through credit. Every time my hand paused over my checkbook, shaking at the thought of losing real money to pay off fake money, I would think of Italy: the $150 dinner in Venice, the first class train tickets, the bottles of Borolo, sausage and cheese like Kerouac in Florence, the Murano glass.

Now, my credit card pays for overpriced gas, groceries, and basic needs that my paycheck just can’t afford. Aside from birthday money (it’s the big 2-5 this year) and minimal funds I’ll be able to stash this summer, my road trip will be courtesy of VISA. I’ll admit I’ve been having heart palpitations at thought of maxing-out my credit card. It’s hard enough to keep a reasonable balance without being extravagant. Jenna and I have estimated about $600 in gas and another $200 in miscellaneous expenses. I get nauseous thinking about sliding that card every other state, but it’s what I’ve got to do. When I come home and start paying, I’ll think of the forty days I spent, crossing the country in good company, visiting long lost friends and family. I’m turning into quite the black-and-white kind of gal. I can either go on this trip and go in to debt; or I can not… If a huge credit card bill is the only battle scar I’ll get from crossing this great country, then it’s worth it through and through.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home