August 12, 2005

Burbank, California

Thursday, July 28th: Got up when Sarah left. We couldn't shower because there wasn't enough water. Had to take down the tent, repack the goddamn car again, and cleaned up after ourselves. Got out of Berkeley okay. The kids all passed out and I was struggling to wake up and stay up. Driving along, I got the feeling we should have seen a sign for Big Sur. Jenna got out the atlas and figured out we had already passed it 80 miles back. We were stuck with the dusty, boring southbound drive on the 5. Stopped briefly in Santa Barbara. Walked through the sand. Got our toes wet. Back on the freeway and stuck in traffic all the way to Burbank. Almost got rear-ended by a rickety pick-up truck. Got in to Burbank and Ali and Rob were off to Pasadena. Jenna and I took showers, then went for Italian with George and Lindsey. Went home. Very sleepy. This will be a nice, homey stop for us. Been to LA twice already, so I'm not worried about touristy shit. Put our feet up, recoup and get ready for the second legs of our trips--me driving alone and Jenna's northeast holiday with her family.

Friday, July 29th: Jenna and I both slept in today. Hung by the pool. LA heat is awful. Berkeley was cold at night and the rest of our West Coast trip had at least some breeze. Ordered a delicious artichoke pizza from right around the corner. Started talking about the idea of "home". We both got weepy: Jenna, with parents in the military and boarding school; me, with no real sense of BG as my home and no idea at all where I'll end up. We're both a little homesick for a home that doesn't exist--a home that's waiting in limbo for each of us to discover. We regrouped, did some swimming and I eventually drove Jenna to Pasadena. Driving in LA is both easy and difficult. Merging from freeway to freeway is easier than getting lost in the one way streets of a traditional city, but more difficult because California doesn't seem to care about warning you when the next freeway is near. In Burbank, waited for George and Lindsey to finish packing. Went out for Mexican food. Have all day tomorrow to myself...

Saturday, July 30th: George and Lindsey left wicked early and I woke up to a quiet house. Watched some insidious morning TV. Lounged by the pool. Like I need more time to think about my future! Too many question marks already. I'm so used to college life, parcelled off in perfect little semesters, depending on each loan check to survive, just me and Dante, the wunder-kitty. It's time for a change and that's what this trip is about--finding a piece of mind and taking hold of the possibilities with both hands.

Sunday, July 31st: Another day to sleep in. Another day by the pool. Topher called and I got ahold of Emily to make dinner plans. Jenna got in from Pasadena only 15 minutes before I had to leave for Santa Monica. Gave Rob and Ali one last hug. Helped Jenna unload everything from my car and said goodbye. She's a right proper road tripper. She's off to Boston and Ann is flying in from London. 5 freeways later and a near collision with the Weinermobile and I was in Santa Monica. Emily took me to the only smoking bar in Cali! Met Topher at a Japanese restaurant where Emily had reserved a private room. Drank two pitchers of Sapphoro. Ate lobster rolls, scallop dumplings, green bean salad with peanut sauce, Asian fried chicken, and a beef and asparagus dish. Coffee and a small sit down at Toph and Emily's helped me get back to Burbank safely.

Monday, August 1st: Lazy and hungover. Booked a hotel for San Diego and got info together. Sat by the pool until Ann got home from work. Showered up and put on decent clothes. Went to dinner at PF Changs. Both had a couple vodka drinks. Ann grilled me about the past, present and future. Went home and got to bed early.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like you are going to miss great food and beer being back in Bowling Green, along with different scenery. I'm hungry just reading this!
Meredith

9:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home