Albuquerque, New Mexico
Wednesday, August 10th: Wicked long drive from Peoria to Albuquerque. Another totally different landscape. A sort of dusty green spotting the dirt and red rocks around me. Massive cuts of stone in every direction. I love this kind of environment the best. You know these plants are tough, living in 100 degree+ temperatures amidst solid geography. I'm passing tons of signs for Indian reservations and Native American shops. Unfortunately, most of them are travel plazas as well. A small part of me, deep down inside, is feeling guilty. How are we supposed to learn and change when all that's left are casinos and full-service gas stations? Called Doc for advice about NM. He returned the call soon after, with more ideas than I could possibly use. I was having so much fun with Coop, that I didn't bother to check my itinerary; thus, I have less than 24 hours in Albuquerque.
I get there and park. Walk to the bookstore and meet Scott and his roommate Carson. They give me a proper tour, highlighting the useful buildings and where I'd be "living" as a grad student. Went to their house--a three bedroom, 2 bath, with a yard for $1000+/month--and chilled while they went to play their weekly soccer game. Later, we went to a local bar with two names and a slightly secret entrance. Had beers and chilis courtesy of the Prospective Student fund. Bedtime early. Have to (1) eat a breakfast burrito, says Doc, (2) go to Old Town to find my mom some turquoise and (3) sit in the square there for good luck. Folks say the outside vendors give great deals if you get there before the major infestation of tourists. I'm really hedgy about New Mexico right now. It would be the most significant change: more land than water, minority majority, small sects of liberals, and I've heard that there's no good venues and rarely any great shows. Though, some part of me immediately liked what I saw. Wonderful, more thinking to do...
I get there and park. Walk to the bookstore and meet Scott and his roommate Carson. They give me a proper tour, highlighting the useful buildings and where I'd be "living" as a grad student. Went to their house--a three bedroom, 2 bath, with a yard for $1000+/month--and chilled while they went to play their weekly soccer game. Later, we went to a local bar with two names and a slightly secret entrance. Had beers and chilis courtesy of the Prospective Student fund. Bedtime early. Have to (1) eat a breakfast burrito, says Doc, (2) go to Old Town to find my mom some turquoise and (3) sit in the square there for good luck. Folks say the outside vendors give great deals if you get there before the major infestation of tourists. I'm really hedgy about New Mexico right now. It would be the most significant change: more land than water, minority majority, small sects of liberals, and I've heard that there's no good venues and rarely any great shows. Though, some part of me immediately liked what I saw. Wonderful, more thinking to do...

2 Comments:
*biased opinion*Chelsea, the "Land of Enchantment" has a nickname--the "Land of Entrapment." I found the "Enchantment" had a way of keeping you stuck there in a good way. It is no San Diego, water or wealth-wise, but there is water there (Rio Grande, etc.). Takes a while to see it, but once you do... And it has way better water usage than Phoenix/Tempe. There are tons of pools and fake lakes there, but those will get rarer as the population hits its limit. Burque has one of the most water-efficient populations in the country, so the water will likely STAY in the rivers, etc.
As for the liberal sects, there are quite a few. The "minority majority" status actually makes it quite comfortable to be noncomformist (even for the conservatives). There is a really vibrant arts scene (and music scene too). Don't believe the hype that there aren't great shows.
No doubt, Albuquerque is different--but that is what made me fall in love with it. Over a thousand hot air balloons dotting a steel-blue sky on October mornings; The smell of green chile roasting; the world's largest pow-wow; the World Poetry Slam Championships (they were there the day you visited--did you go?); forests nearby, etc.
Hope you got the turquoise for your mom.*
Hey Chelsea (or, The Chelster/ The Chelsinator as I recall Al would have it..)
Anyway, I've just been checking out your blog and catching up on the second part of your trip - sounds bitchin' eh? Also only just realized that you have been commenting merrily on my blog the whole time - thanks! and sorry I haven't been returning the favours. Wow. can't believe we're back.
Peace out! xxxxxxJenna
Post a Comment
<< Home